Thursday, July 17, 2008

The eggplant tomato tree


Eggplant and tomato clip art courtesy of ClipArtLog

Still hot off the wire... The news of an experimental eggplant and tomato tree in Sicily may just become all the rage for vegetable gardens the world over. The english version and accompanying image (see link below) is enough to make me a believer, but what piqued my interest in the italian article was the mention of not only one, but several types of eggplant grafts to the rootstock - nostrana (average italian garden variety), melanzana bianca (the white egg-shaped ones), and tunisina. What's tunisina eggplant? It would logically seem to be an eggplant from Tunisia, although I've never heard of such a variety. A very lovely photo can be seen on flickr here.

Un'albero che produce i pomodori e le melanzane senza l'introduzione di OGM? Minchia! Sarebbe un miracolo!! Secondo me l'unica cosa che manca sono i capperi. E vi giuro, non e' una caponata vera senza i buonissimi capperi di Pantelleria...

Guidasicilia.it - Un geometra ha creato l'albero di melanzana e pomodoro

6 comments:

  1. Now, if he could just get some zucchine and onions on there too, we'd have a ratatouille tree.

    (I was going to say, '...why?' until I read your links - fascinating.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thought is that this "ET" tree would do well in Hawaii. Tomatoes and eggplants love hot weather, so...come one Hawaii botanists! Instead of playing mad scientist with GMO taro plants, come up with something useful like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rowena! I just realized you started a new blog. So sorry..I've been out of touch. It looks wonderful btw :) Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wonder if each vegatable may keep its owne taste or would they interchange their tastes, in that case we ll sur have some newest specimens of vegetables. Otherwise we ll have a very interesting ornamental plant.Eco credo Io!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free Zone, that's an interesting point of view. I don't know anything about plant grafting so it would be anyone's guess as to what the vegetables taste like. We'll just have to see if it appears at the nurseries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about grafting personally, but I do know of a chap near us who has grafted lemons, limes and oranges onto the same rootstock - and yes, the fruit do keep their own distinct flavour.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts (older than 7 days) will appear after authorization.