Wednesday, July 16, 2008

If only my zucchini were tomatoes...

Two weeks after the hailstorm. Despite torn holes in the leaves, pock marks on the fruit, and a sort of powdery mildew, the zucchini are still growing strong and remain the undisputed queens of the garden. First it was nothing but blossoms, of which the males were immediately snapped up and stuffed with ricotta and set under the broiler or slipped into the frying pan. Now it is a whole lot of zukes in risotto, with pasta, on the grill, in soups, and I'm like, enough already!

Sadly, I don't think the cucumber plant is going to make it. With the hail and then the doxie sneaking a nibble or two on the stems and leaves, I'm all out of hope for a possible audition in another episode of Grocery Store Wars.

7 comments:

  1. Love your new blog Rowena, photos and all!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best solution to powdery mildew has been a diluted milk solution. Last year, I had a horrible case. This year, I've applied the dilute milk once a week and I've had NONE. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marie! Consider it as my new creative outlet for when I only want to talk dirt! :lol:

    Grazie Christina! See, that's what I love about gardening blogs because it's more of a "help each other out" atmosphere as opposed to "pig each other out" on the food blog scene. Oink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too bad about the cucumber plants, at least you can enjoy the zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat, just after I posted that I realized that I still haven't used my korean hot pepper paste (forgot the korean name). I think I'll do a stirfry with chicken, zucchini and that paste...should be ono-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonder if it is kochujang? if it is, mix it with shoyu and use on your fritters :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about you cucumbers, Rowena. Thanks for the clip - you made me laugh. 'May the Farm be with you', too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts (older than 7 days) will appear after authorization.