Friday, April 3, 2009

Where there be water, there be life

Fog in the chestnut forest

After 4 days of monochrome tones like this...well, we practically fell over ourselves doing the happy dance when blue skies greeted us today. I told dog #1 "Let's go for a walk!" and she gladly obliged with a fierce wagging of her tail. I like living here in the mountains, and just had to photograph the obligatory margherita and whatever else. We also chanced upon some of our hardworking neighbors, who were, as usual, involved in heavy labor.

Antfest

White forest flowers
I don't know what type of flowers these are.

Margherite
The margheritas.

Shishigatani pumpkin seedlings
Shishigatani pumpkin seedlings - 4 weeks. I don't know what gave me the idea to plant more than 1 type of pumpkin this year, but after reading phrases like "delicious nutty flavor" and "famous vegetable in Kyoto cuisine" in Baker Creek's catalog, how was I supposed to say no? Red Kuri (Hokkaido) rounds out the bunch with Yellow Scallop squash bringing up the rear.

Rattail seedlings
These poked out of the dirt within a few days. Let's hope the "tails" are as tasty as they are reported to be.

Average daytime temperature: 16°C / 61°F

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how the pumpkin turns out. And the photo with the ants also made me laugh :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fern - I think I watch way too many cartoons. :-P

    Kat - I am crossing my fingers that the slugs don't nab the plants. If I could harvest even one pumpkin, I'll be in veggie heaven! Wait til you see my sheep. heh heh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ants are hilarious - much more talkative and amusing than ours, which just trudge along grunting yo heave ho. What is rat tail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern - I am glad you asked, as I had forgotten to insert a link to the page that convinced me to try growing rattail radish in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ants are priceless. And as far as pumpkins (and cucumbers in my case) are concerned - may the slugs stay away this year... Regardless of the magical photos, can't help myself but wonder if you are OK and hopefully have not in any way been affected by the dreadful earthquake. Take care!

    Violet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also don't know what the white flowers are. Couls they be some sort of wild peony?
    How are things with the earthquake? Hope you were unaffected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Violet - thank you for checking in on our welfare after the quake. We are fine. The quake occurred 400+ miles south from where we're at, so we slept through the whole thing.

    Gintoino - when it comes to flowers I am pretty much in the dark. I'm familiar only with the ones that grow in Hawaii (where I'm originally from). As for the quake, we are safe and sound although those who live in that particular area are trying to make the best of it. Thank you for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really got me. I was expecting a picture of people neighbors hard at work! The ants around here are finally waking up. When we go walking in the sage, we run into ant mounds that are literally crawling with ants. We have some that are two tone...red and black. And they are mean! They are the only food that our desert horned toads eat. Thank God for the horned toads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail - I simply cannot imagine what it would be like to see a live, moving, busy anthill. The ones in our yard are more like antbumps. I'm sure those red and black ants in the states would devour our hardworking neighbors -- italian ants are just too complacent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemone_nemorosa

    In Sweden we call them "vitsippa", didn't know that they grew in Italy too!

    /Marie who just started reading your blog since she looked for a recipe for abbracci and then found that you grow things too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie - thank you for the link! It always grates on my nerves when I cannot identify something, so finally putting a name to this flower means a lot to me (and I like the swedish name much better).

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts (older than 7 days) will appear after authorization.