Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Collective Farm Woman's a hardy one

Baby Collective Farm Woman melons Collective Farm Woman

Two weeks ago I was ecstatic to see anything forming at all on my Collective Farm Woman vines. Melons in a pot? My husband was skeptical. Well the proof is on my terrace, and so far, the dogs have not bothered to push/nose under the net barrier to investigate something new to eat. The photo on the left was taken on July 14th, and the one on the right just a few hours ago. My how my melons have grown!

6 comments:

  1. Those are great melons you've got there Rowena. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier... it seems we have similar stories... living in a foreign country, learning a new language... seems you are in a beautiful place too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! This must be the year of the melon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only it were the year of the tomatoes (for me, anyway) :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last evening, my English Mastiff thought the cantaloupes were balls. He ripped one from the vine and was as excited as if he had found a toad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! Aren't melons exciting? You'll know these guys are ready when they get gold flushes and fall off in your hand when you check on them. I think you're really going to like Collective Farm Woman--for maximum sweetness, hold off watering a couple days before harvest.

    I'm excited you're growing this melon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina - thank you again for your input on melons! I have an update (100% positive!) to work on as one of the CFW melons fell off the vine while I was away for a short period.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts (older than 7 days) will appear after authorization.