Tuesday, July 14, 2009

It makes it all worth it

Worth what, you say? Well just about everything that goes into growing and maintaining your own organic garden, that's what. From waiting for that seed order to clear customs, to cursing at the slugs who demolished your first spring transplants, it is all worth the pleasure of finally enjoying the first crops of a summer harvest. It will be another few weeks before I'm rolling in vegetables, but working a full day in the garden yesterday was mental and spiritual therapy like no other. I love being around plants that will eventually give me something to feed my family (that's husband and 2 dogs).

This year I plan to "extend" our family somewhat by sharing a few vegetables with the brazilian neighbor that for whatever reason, started up a conversation with me while I was out hanging laundry on the terrace. She has always kept to herself since moving here and I don't intrude if a person likes their space so... A shame that her unit does not include a garden plot because then I would also be shoving seeds at her!

Round zucchine

Round zucchini are so great as stuffed vegetables. I've also seen them sliced into wedges and used as a side dish to chicken in morel cream sauce.

Dragon tongue beans
Mouseover for image description

Exotic name and fancy coloring make for a guaranteed sell but these beans would still be excellent even if they were all green. The few that I've harvested were crisp-tender and slightly sweet in a quick saute with olive oil. The purple streaks fade and the whole lot turns into a pale cream shade when cooked.

Baby Collective Farm Woman melons

This is the first time that I've tried growing melons. A problem of fruit flies in Hawaii has always made it near impossible to cultivate melons unless you're using pesticides. I remember that the flies would also nab our cucumbers and bittermelon too. The name of Collective Farm Woman seemed just the thing to plant in the garden, but these are actually growing from a 3 gallon pot on the terrace.

Teddy Bear Sunflower
Mouseover for image description

I always plan for sunflowers each spring but with every new veg under the sun vying for my attention in the catalogs...the allotted space keeps diminishing each year.

Epazote
Mouseover for image description

May as well be the first one to say it. The image of the full-grown plant shown on Wikipedia's description page of Dysphania ambrosioides looks like something you can smoke? This shouldn't cloud the fact that this plant is also helpful in ridding intestinal worms.

Average daytime temperature: 27°C / 81°F

10 comments:

  1. nice teddy bear sunflower. my teddies didn't sprout this year. but they were Italian seeds from the big dept store trony. I need to stop buying here..When will I learn....... Stellina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that Trony even sold seeds! I buy mine from Leroy Merlin or local garden shops -- as a matter of fact, Leroy's had a box full of old 2008 seeds at 30 cents each. I couldn't resist and picked up more lettuce. Forget about learning - I'm too much of a garden thickhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess i shouldn't knock Trony seeds TOO much. the dahlia from seed sprouted and just stated blooming and the sweet alyssum bloomed great and they were from trony. I came across this link for seeds... I'm not sure if you have ordered from them or not It looked interesting though..http://www.eseeds.com/

    Stellina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your squash look like my squash (pumpkins).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. Hope you get enough heat to sweeten the melons nicely. Sunnies are so cheerful, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybelline - and here's a bit of did-you-know-or-do-you-care: squashes, as far as sicilians are concerned, are symbols of good luck!

    Fern - with the summer quite half over and the pickins being so slim, I would be ecstatic if we get anything else this season. I remember last summer as being the year of the zukes and toms, but this year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have "good luck" coming out of my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't wait to see what else your garden will produce for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat - eh, right now I'm in a crisis because the dogana got my seeds! My dad sent me a bunch as a gift, but they got pulled over by the package patrol. Still figuring out how to put it all in a post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no! hope they let everything through!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts (older than 7 days) will appear after authorization.