Monday, July 9, 2012

Waiting on the green, admiring the purple

Daily watering in the morning and evening was apparently not enough to get the garden on a good solid roll, but a big rainstorm that passed through here last week did absolute wonders for the plants. Where there were a few flowers, now there be more, and small tomatoes, hot peppers and bell peppers are growing even faster on every single plant. Garden nurseries are also doing mid-season sales, so we picked up a Buddleja davidii “Black Knight” that has already begun to attract butterflies. I've read that they're considered invasive but I can't see how they could be more invasive than the stinging nettles.


Datterini tomatoes and bell pepper


Jalapeno and Calabrian hot peppers


Zucchini


Voluntary shiso


Lavender


Buddleja davidii

Today's high: 28°C / 82°F

7 comments:

andrea said...

Nothing better than a good soak of rain and sounds like it came at just the right time for your garden.Peppers are looking good too!
Love Buddlia's and have about 8 varities around the garden, they can become leggy but respond to a good prune each year and come back stronger and full of flowers.......

K and S said...

wow! beautiful!

Rowena said...

Thanks for the tip on pruning! This is the first time that I've seen them in a garden center, and I have never seen this plant in anyone else's yard.

Rowena said...

And I am not finished yet! Everytime we head out to the home and garden center, I end up bringing some plant/plants home with me. Wish we could could grow papayas...

K and S said...

papaya/mango is something I wish I could do on my lanai too...

~TastyTravels~ said...

Things are looking good in your neck of the woods!!

Rowena said...

Good but so slow! We've been hitting some low temps in the morning that it almost seems as if fall is already here.