Monday, August 8, 2016

This is no Aloha...


I'm still waiting on the large tomatoes (hoping for a harvest at the end of this month), and that's being very optimistic. In the meantime, I try to keep up with the cucumbers, the only vegetables that have done really well this season. In salad, pickled, cucumber gazpacho (meh), and all over again when I've run out of ideas, cukes are just killing it this year.

On the floral end of things, the 'Aloha' dahlia that bloomed recently looks nothing like the yellow and scarlet-tipped dahlia shown (3rd one) below. The burgundy one in its place resembles Spartacus Dinnerplate, and is the biggest flower in the garden at nearly 8 inches across.


Todays high: 28°C / 82°F

2 comments:

K and S said...

bummer that the other veggies have not produced. love your dahlia, we got zero:(

Rowena said...

I think you mentioned something about the heat killing your dahlia but I wonder if keeping it indoors (in partial sun) might have helped. I'm going to try growing some in pots next year.