Friday, March 31, 2023

What's in the works for the yard & garden 2023

Forsythia

Here we are again. The end of another month and the start of a new one. I missed not being able to garden last year so to make up for it, I'm leaving no flower pot, vase, or container unfilled. I want the bees and butterflies to think they've come across the motherlode of pollen and nectar! April is National Garden Month so to get a headstart on what will be a busy season, I think it's best to write down goals in order that nothing gets forgotten in the garden shuffle. There are 2 projects that need to be addressed, one of which is this area which I call the rock garden:

Rock garden started in September '22

It's the hottest spot in summer when the sun's rays reflect off the wall and onto the yard. The grass always suffers in that particular location, so I thought to mark off a section with rocks and see how it works with drought-tolerant plants. The lopsided curry plant and 'Hidcote' lavender will stay, but the 2 heather plants will go. The lavender was planted last fall and I hope to see it fill out this season. I'm considering santolina (lavender cotton) and phlomis russeliana (Turkish sage) as replacements, with california poppies scattered in between. All of those choices should do fine considering the conditions.

The 2nd project is the back part of the apartment that has a reinforced retaining wall. This wall keeps the sloped garden from tumbling down into us, but oh to look at that ugly thing when I wake up!

Initially I was convinced of a climbing vine (not ivy!), maybe a gloriosa lily? But that would mean putting in a trellis or some sort of support - not what I want to see (bare wall and trellis) in winter with the plant cut back. The northerly position excludes late afternoon sun but at least it's in open shade. The idea of a small shade-tolerant tree in a large planter does sound good though... Let's see what my better half thinks.

Today's high: 10°C / 50°F.

2 comments:

K and S said...

looking forward to see your garden despite all the challenges

Rowena said...

I made a calendar of what needs to be done each week, and that, I hope, will help in keeping me from losing my mind!