Saturday, April 1, 2023

Six on Saturday

I'm a half year late in making the crossover from The Propagator where Six on Saturday first began, but now that spring has arrived, I do hope to pop in more often at Garden Rumination's Saturday Six.

The first red bloom to appear - Anemone coronaria De Caen 'Hollandia' - is a complimentary gift from one of the usual online sources that I purchase from. Now I'm not wild about anemones but when something is for free...

As usual, aubrieta gracilis are the first purples to show up, so full of tiny blossoms and doing really well in the current cool weather. Yes they turn rather tatty when it starts to get hot, but usually around that time the cosmos are up and running.

In the fall I sow broad beans (fava beans) mainly as a cover crop but those out in the garden beds rarely make it through winter (they're not under any protection). I just work them into the ground. Those in containers are somewhat sheltered, yielding enough of a harvest for a few meals. All I need is liver and a nice Chianti.

Lamprocapnos spectabilis

Bleeding heart (pink variety) may soon have a red variety and a white lady-in-the-bath one for company. It's a pity that they don't stick around when the real heat arrives. Still, they're another spring bloom that never fails to show up.

Peonies popping through - March 21st

I've read that peonies don't like to be disturbed and was concerned that this one dug up from my in-laws' wouldn't make it. I transplanted the large clump of an herbaceous type into a 45cm terracotta planter last fall, watered it well and mulched with dead leaves. It's a pink peony (variety unknown) that my mother-in-law had for at least a decade. Last year (before it was dug up), I got about a dozen and a half sweetly scented double blooms.

Here they are now a week and a half later. Very happy to see them come back.

Today's high: 16°C / 61°F

5 comments:

Rosie Amber said...

Interesting note about peonies, I needed to move some of mine and I don't know if they will survive the move.

K and S said...

ooh I hope your peonies bloom nicely, the blooms you had last were beautiful!

Rowena said...

@Rosie Amber - apparently it is a myth, or at least not true in my case. I think that if you're careful digging them up and transplant correctly in a suitable location, the peony will survive. I may not get blooms though; we shall see.

@Kat - if I get blooms, great. If not, I can wait next year.

Anonymous said...

How nice to hear from, its been a while since we were in touch. Loving the garden blog, makes me long for my Lazio garden, the tiny balcony in Yorkshire just doesn't meet me needs. Such a wonderful time of year, glad to see things are happening.
www.mylifeinflipflops.blogspot.com

Els said...

Hi there, about the Sanguisorba :-) This is the "normal" (officinalis) big variety, (there are lots of others with a bit different (hanging) flowerheads also different colours) about 1.70m high. It's in the sunshine almost all day. We have rather "heavy" clay soil here (in Holland) One thing, it doesn't like though is taking a part and putting it somewhere else : it died. Lots of succes with it and happy spring :-)