Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Mighty Warriors

Complete turnaround in weather today, and as you can see, I wasted no time in getting out in the dirt. A big relief that yesterday's rain didn't cause any disaster in the sloped garden, but I had to throw away the first tomato that I wrote about last month. The hail had caused too much damage and it rotted from all the pelting. A pity, because it was just starting to turn color.

Wild fennel

The reason why I've titled this entry The Mighty Warriors is because there are 3 plants that have done quite well even in the weird and often brutal weather that we've experienced. Come rain, hail, strong wind or blazing sun, they brave the elements and push on. The wild fennel (well, that one is an old-timer) is dauntless, but the Lau's leaf lettuce and Black Aztec corn are new experiments for me. I was particularly worried for the corn because I had to grow them on a slope, knowing it would be suicide to keep the ground entirely free of weeds. All it would take was one serious downpour to wash the whole lot away. Still, as transplants in peat pots, they took everything that Mother Nature threw at them and are still growing! I know that I probably planted them way too close but I'll be happy even if I manage to harvest a few ears at the end of the season.

Lau's pointed leaf lettuce  Black aztec corn plants

Average daytime temperature: 24°C / 75°F

3 comments:

  1. Kat - you know that I really, really want to try growing rice, but I'm holding off until I can figure out where to put a small plastic kiddie swimming pool. Next year I will try growing the Kamo eggplants again, I think they failed because it was too cold this spring. I should be receiving some seeds for mitsuba, daikon sprouts and korean shiso in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope they work out for you, seems the climate is colder than most areas in japan during spring.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts (older than 7 days) will appear after authorization.